Monday, May 13, 2013

Listen to me, please.

I'm participating in Diabetes Blog Week! This Is today's topic:

"Often our health care team only sees us for about 15 minutes several times a year, and they might not have a sense of what our lives are really like. Today, let’s pretend our medical team is reading our blogs. What do you wish they could see about your and/or your loved one's daily life with diabetes? On the other hand, what do you hope they don't see?"

If my medical team read this post I'd say this...

Listen to me, please. I am so grateful for you and all of your staff. You guys are very helpful when it comes to me make decisions that I have a hard time making. Listen, you make having diabetes somewhat easier to live with. I want you to know that I am trying my very best. I'm not perfect but then again, is anyone? I want you to know that I breathe diabetes. I think about diabetes when I'm awake and when I'm asleep. There are not very many things that I do without factoring diabetes into the question. Listen to me. When my blood sugar is high, I get angry. I never want you to be disappointed in me. Goodness, I'm deathly afraid of disappointing you. I want to share with you that there aren't very many things that would ever make me change endos. Our 15 minutes together. THEY ARE CRUCIAL. I listen to you for fifteen minutes and I replay your words in my head for the next 3 months. I am always hopeful that you have something to praise me for. I just want your approval. I don't need it, but it sure does help me get through the days until I see you again. 

Oh, but listen to me please. There are things that I don't want to share with you. I don't want you to know how much I stress. You'd think I was crazy. But I'm not...entirely. I'm sane. I promise. But if only you knew how much I try to make myself believe that my A1C doesn't matter. Really, don't listen to this part. I'm sharing but you should know that I don't want you to know this. I don't want you to know that I leave my sensor on until its absolutely inaccurate. I hope you never find out that if I KNOW that I'm low, I won't check until I think the number is safe. Again, I want you to praise me. But what I want you to know the most is...I really hope you know that I'm putting in so much effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment