Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Just a little bit

"Recently various petitions have been circulating the Diabetes Online Community, so today let’s pretend to write our own. Tell us who you would write the petition to – a person, an organization, even an object (animate or inanimate) - get creative!! What are you trying to change and what have you experienced that makes you want this change?"

This is day 2 of Diabetes Blog Week. I am supposed to be petitioning.

My petition: I want diabetes to listen to the loved ones of diabetics and then have a change of heart. I want diabetes to totally understand that it's exhausting and a hassle to deal with even for people that don't have diabetes that care for diabetics/Type 3's. So I had my mom write a letter to diabetes asking it to leave us alone. Have I ever mentioned that my mom is awesome? Because she is. And so she writes.

Hey there, diabetes! 
I'm sure you know me very well. You've been with my daughter for almost 4 years now. You're sort of like a stalker. You never go away. I want to eliminate you from her life but I know you aren't willing to do that. That's okay, I'm reasonable. Can we compromise? Could you just leave her alone for a bit? Give her a few days free of your shackles. You came to her as a senior in high school. She was about to graduate. Her future was so bright and you stopped her in her tracks. Oh but make no mistake, her future is still bright. I just watched her, my youngest child, graduate from college. Yet and still, I see her struggle. Like I said, you came to her right before she left for college. To be exact, 2 months before college. As a mother, I would do anything to make sure all three of my children are safe and happy. So you can understand why I was so uptight about diabetes and where her numbers were at all times. I woke up in the middle of the night to check her sugar. I know that she was 18 but I wanted to be assured that she was okay while she slept. I didn't want her to worry. I know she did anyway but it made me feel better. Was I obsessive? Absolutely. But who wouldn't be? Oh yeah, I only did this for 2 months. After that, she had to leave for school. I felt helpless. I could do nothing to help her because she was far away, learning to experience the world on her own. I'm proud of her. Do you know how much stress you cause? Were you aware that 7 months after her diagnosis she had a seizure because her blood sugar was dangerously low? Did you forget that 1 month after that first seizure DKA hit her like a ton of bricks? She spent 4 days in the hospital. We didn't forget any of this. It lives with me, with my child. Along with the constant worry that comes with the math and carb counting and insulin and whatever, my daughter has long periods of depression because of you. I applaud her for her hard work. She never quits trying. Anyway, she deals with you and your antics. I'm just asking you to give her a short break. I'm asking you to leave her alone for 5 weeks or 5 days or 5 hours or 5 minutes. I want her to live to her fullest without dragging you around. Please, for me and all the other family and friends of diabetics, go away. Do this especially for my daughter. She needs peace of mind for some time. So tell me, diabetes. Would you be willing to break up with my child just for a little bit? I'm begging you.
Love, Momma D


So there's my petition. Give me a break because Momma D said so.
P.S. I realize it is technically Wednesday. Don't judge. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment